[contact-form-7 id=”66″ title=”Quick Quote”]
Moving can be one of the most nerve-wracking things one can do. Whether you are moving from an apartment or a home, moving locally or to a different state, there are a lot of things to keep in mind in order to make the process smooth and obtain some peace of mind. It is certainly not an easy task to pack all your things, hire a local mover or rent a truck, and keep the entire moving process completely organized. You definitely need help on the matter, and this moving checklist is just what you need.
Use this guide to make your move seamless and manageable.
Two Months before Moving
- Purge : Explore all the rooms in your house and decide on the things you would like to keep and separate those from the ones you like to get rid of. When it comes to getting rid of things, you have different options – donate to charity, have a yard sale, or sell the items online. Once you have categorized the items, check the ones you’re keeping and see which of those may require special packaging.
- Create a Budget : Evaluate the cost associated with purchasing moving supplies, hiring movers, renting a truck and other purchases for your new home. Create a notebook or binder to store all related paperwork.
- Start Researching : Start researching your options for local movers. One advantage of hiring local movers is that they can provide an on-site estimate. So, do not go for a quote over the phone. Check with the Better Business Bureau and also get recommendations from your family, friends and neighbors.
- Arrange School Records : If you have kids, visit their school and arrange for their school transfer records.
Six Weeks before Moving
- Purchase Moving Supplies : Get boxes (in different sizes), bubble wraps, permanent markers, and tape. You may also need other specialty supplies like dish barrel boxes and wardrobe boxes.
- Use Up : Now is the time to start using items that do not belong to your moving checklist. These include cleaning products, perishable foods, frozen food items, etc.
- Measure Your New Home : If you don’t already have them, take measurements of your new home to make sure that all your current furniture will fit through the main and room entrances, and make suitable arrangements.
One Month before Moving
- Confirm All the Plans with Your Mover : Choose a reliable local mover and confirm with them details such as costs, your moving date, additional charges, and other such details.
- Start Packing : If you think you need more time for packing, this step should be moved to earlier on our moving checklist.
- Keep Valuables Separate : All your valuables such as important files, jewelry, etc. should be stored separately, so you can take them with you personally rather than leaving them behind for your movers to transport them along with all the other stuff.
- Label Everything : While packing, remember to label each and every box with its contents so that it would be easy for you while unpacking.
- Inform Everyone : Before you move, you need to inform the following: the HR department in your office, banks, newspapers and magazine subscription, insurance companies, credit card companies, utility companies, and brokerage firms.
- Change Your Address : Visit your local post office and submit a change-of-address form. Alternatively, you can also do the same on the United States Postal Service (USPS) website, https://www.usps.com/.
Two Weeks before Moving
- Confirm Everything : Call your moving company and reconfirm all the arrangements. Make sure that they will be of service at the right time.
- Get the D Day Off : Inform your office in advance that you will need the day off as you are planning on supervising the move.
- Empty Your Safe Deposit Box : If you are moving to a new region and therefore will be changing your bank, visit your current bank and empty your safe deposit box before moving.
- Make Final Repairs : Check your house thoroughly to see if everything is in working condition and make repairs wherever necessary.
One Week before Moving
- Pack Your Luggage : A week before your move is the right time to start packing your general luggage like clothes and other essentials. Make sure that everyone in your family has their individual luggage packed so that you are on track with your moving checklist.
- Stock Up on Prescriptions : Make sure to refill prescriptions to last for the next few weeks.
Two Days before Moving
- Clean Your Home : Now that you have almost everything packed and ready for transport, use this time to clean your old home. Vacuum the carpets, sweep the floors, clean the kitchen and all the windows so that your house is clean and ready for the new residents.
- Reconfirm : Once again double-check with your moving company on their time of arrival, give them your new address, contact number, directions, and other specifics.
- Get Ready : Get yourself physically and mentally ready for the new change. Have a good, balanced breakfast, and pack up some snacks, water, and juices to keep you going throughout the day.
- Double-Check : When the moving truck arrives at your home, make sure that it is from the local moving company you hired by checking the vehicle’s number with that of the one you were given during confirmation.
- Make and Keep Copies : Make copies of all moving paperwork, such as statements, receipts, inventory list, etc. and keep a copy for future references.
Use this comprehensive moving checklist and take one step at a time, your move will definitely run smoothly.